There are many hidden expenses involved when you’re planning a home improvement project in your city. If you think you can do it on your own, you need to ask yourself a few questions first to be sure you’re capable of doing a proper job. For instance, if your roof is showing signs of wear, has holes or leaks, or is missing shingles, you might figure a roof is something you and a friend could do in order to save money. Before you make that judgment, think these considerations over:
- Do you know what kind of roof you need, such as metal roofing, flat roofing, tile roofing, or some other variety?
- Are you experienced in the areas of roof maintenance, roofing repairs, roofing inspections, and re-roofs?
- What kind of permit is required in your Downriver MI neighborhood, and what is needed so that it passes city inspections?
- Do you own a heavy duty ladder, and do you have the right equipment and tools needed to install a new roof properly?
- What kind of pitch does your roof have?
- What is the condition of your gutters?
- Are you certified, licensed and insured to perform a roof replacement?
- Do you have access to discounts on GAF and CertainTeed roofing materials?
If you’re unsure about any of these questions, the best advice is to look at an educational site like Michigan Roof Pros. Many different roofing professionals and experts contribute to this site, providing advice and guidance on one day roof installations, tear-offs, roof shoveling, low slope roofing, protective roof coatings, and much more along these lines. This is a great place for you to familiarize yourself with the scope of such a project and what you should do if you’re researching how to find the best roofing contractors in your town. Of course, cost is always a factor, so if you look up how much does the average roof cost in Downriver Michigan, you’ll be on the right track to finding out exactly what you need to know to get started.
What you need to know, it’s all here:
We’ve compiled a list of some things you should be thinking about in relation to the cost of a new roof, and are discussing them here:
- No-leak guarantee
- No cost roofing inspections and estimates
- Roof installation in one day
- Low-interest loans and available financing
- Satisfaction guarantees and lifetime warrantees
- Help with insurance claims paperwork
- 24/7 emergency roofing support and professional services
All of the above factors should be included when you’re looking for a reputable roofing company. If not, it’s probably an unreliable organization that won’t be fair in pricing and won’t provide you with the one-on-one customer service you need.
Roofing Costs 101 Guide for 2017
If a roofing contractor is top-rated and provides a guarantee like this, this is an outstanding factor to work into your price. A company that makes such a pledge is confident that the work they will do on your roof installation or roofing replacement will be airtight and properly sealed, resulting in zero leaks.
No-cost roofing inspections and estimates
One of the perks of choosing a well-known, experienced roofing contractor in Downriver Michigan is that they should provide free roofing estimates and inspections. That way you can look at a detailed report that spells out the health of your roof, shingles, and gutters. Perhaps you have loose or missing shingles, or you’re dealing with holes or leaks. It’s important to discover these problem areas before you commit to a new roofing contract. Michigan Roof Pros can help steer you down the right path so you can find a good roofing company that doesn’t charge for an initial consultation or quotation.
One day roof installation
Unless you have a large team of experienced roofing professionals at your disposal, you won’t be able to install a new roof on your property in less than 24 hours. Talented Downriver roofers have a system in place wherein most of the time they can prep and install your new roof, as well as call for city inspections and haul away any related debris from your home. It’s truly a start to finish endeavor.
Low interest loans and affordable financing
When you sit down to figure out how much it will cost to replace your roof, it’s nice to know about companies that offer reasonable loan and financing plans. That way you won’t be faced with a decision of paying your mortgage or fixing your deteriorating roof. Carefully evaluate the options presented to you by the roofing contractor you call and be sure they have a budget conscious plan that will work for you and your family.
Satisfaction guarantees and lifetime warrantees
Don’t sign a roofing or home improvement contract that doesn’t contain a money back guarantee or warrantee promise. A new roof can cost a few thousand up to over $10,000 depending on what type, size, color, brand and style, so you need to make sure your investment is being protected. If they don’t mention any such warrantee or guarantee, ask about them. If they’re not being offered it’s wise to decline doing business with that company.
Insurance claims and paperwork assistance
A credible and trusted roofing contractor will be able to adequately walk you through the homeowner’s insurance claims process with no problem. Maybe your roof was affected by tornado damage, hail damage, fire damage, water damage, wind damage or some other type of weather related incident – if so, it’s possible part or all of your replacement roof may be covered by homeowner’s insurance. Being able to determine this possibility is often a job that a good roofing company will undertake. They want to make the process as easy on you as possible. If your roof is severely damaged, perhaps it’s blown off or leaking badly, then you need to find out as soon as you can if your policy will cover and reimburse you for that type of issue.
24/7 emergency roofing support and professional services
When you’re looking for a reliable roofing company to maintain, repair or replace your Downriver MI roof, you want to know you can call them round the clock. Chances are you may never need to consult a roofing contractor after hours, but if you do, you want to know they’ll respond in case of a roofing emergency or catastrophe. When you call an insured, licensed and insured roofing company that’s been in the industry for over 20 years, you’ll feel better when you find out they don’t close at 5 p.m. It’s always a good idea to have the name and number of a top roofing contractor that is family owned and highly rated by its customers. If they offer 24/7 roofing services, then will be able to respond to your call immediately, so you won’t have to worry about going without a roof.
Top ten things to think about when you’re planning a roofing project
When you visit http://michiganroofpros.com/ you will discover some valuable information, facts and tips that will help guide you through your roof assessment and installation project. Here is their Top Ten List of Items to Consider regarding the average roof cost in Downriver Michigan:
- Energy costs: You may not think the condition or health of your roof can make an impact on your gas or electric bill, but it really can. If there are areas that aren’t adequately protected or covered, or holes are allowing air to escape either way, it can definitely contribute to your bill slowly rising. An energy efficient or green roof can work wonders to help maintain good airflow within your Wayne County home so your heating or cooling systems won’t have to work extra hard to compensate. If your roof is in extremely poor condition, your energy bills can cost a few thousands extra per year. So in that case, even if you spend $8,000-$10,000 on a new roof, you will be saving money in the long run.
- Framing: if you’re totally switching up your roof and are installing a heavier type of shingle, such as clay or slate tiles, you need to be sure your current frame can support it. If not, you may need to have your current frame replaced.
- Safety: most qualified roofing companies have all the proper safety measures and precautions in place, so you won’t need to be concerned about being liable for an accident or injury to you, or anyone on their team. Their company is obligated to adhere to all applicable federal, local and state laws regarding roof installation, roof maintenance, roof replacement, and roofing repairs. Safety is always a #1 consideration and reason why it’s better to call a company rather than do it yourself or hire an amateur.
- Removal of debris. After a roofing project is completed, there are many leftover materials that can be potentially hazardous to pets, children, and adults. Items such as pieces of shingles, nails or equipment that hasn’t been moved yet can fall or injure a passerby. Professional roofers will take care of all the debris clean up and removal so there won’t be any worries about injuries.
- Checking of credentials. If you are given the name of a roofing company, you want to be sure and do some investigating to find out if they’re worth your time and money. First, see if they’re rated by the Better Business Bureau. Next, see if they have any referrals from Angie’s List. Also, see if Michigan Roof Pros has any news on them and lastly, check out the company’s social media pages such as Facebook to find out what their customers have to say.
- Deciding on a plan. Maybe you’re just planning on doing some general sprucing up of your property, therefore you want to do a home improvement project which might include new doors, windows, flooring, tiling and roofing. If you’re doing a multi-faceted project, you’ll want to choose a roofing style and color which complements your home’s other new features. Do you want flat or metal roofing? Perhaps a green roof to take advantage of solar energy? No matter what you decide it’s always a good idea to develop a plan before you get started.
- Roof replacement or roofing repairs? When you call a recommended roofing contractor in your neck of the woods you can tell them you aren’t sure what you’ll actually need. They will then arrive at your property in Michigan to conduct a full and complete roofing inspection, which will reveal whether or not a new roof installation is warranted or not. If not, they will make a list of the necessary repairs you should have done so your roof will last a long time.
- Doing your research. By going online and seeing what choices you have regarding your gabled roof, domed roof, or hipped roof, you will be able to select the most popular and referred roofing company in your city. Find out if they offer the pertinent discounts, warrantees, CertainTeed and GAF materials, and no-leak guarantee before you commit to them with a set in stone contract.
- Beware of amateurs. If an individual is advertising on a free or cheap website, or wants all the deposit money up front, or can’t provide you with any referrals or a copy of their builder’s license, then you should steer clear of their business. If you choose a company solely based on price and don’t require referrals or examples of recent projects, you might end up losing money and not having your roofing job performed correctly.
- Compare…then call. After you’ve compared the benefits and perks of a few roofing companies, call the one that best matches your needs. Make sure they respond quickly, and that you are treated with warm and friendly attitude.
In conclusion, your roofing project cost will vary depending on a number of factors including age, pitch, style, and size. Don’t make a hasty decision – instead, consider all of the factors we discussed in this article before you make such an important determination regarding your Downriver MI home.